Obviously, Pembury Tours and you, the client, will act in good faith regarding your holiday arrangements. But sometimes things might happen that are entirely outside of either of our control. It is important that our clients understand the conditions associated with making a booking with Pembury.
This page summarises, in plain English, the most important aspects of the booking process and our booking conditions (at the bottom of this page, you can view our full Terms and Conditions as drawn up by the lawyers).
The Booking Process
- Once you contact us, and we know what you want, we will tailor-make an itinerary for you and will send you a quotation, which includes a full description of your proposed trip. You can expect a few exchanges of correspondence (e-mails & phone calls) with your tour consultant whilst she is busy preparing your quotation. We encourage our clients to work with our consultants during this process so that we can be sure that our quote will be pretty spot on in terms of what you are looking for.
- Once you indicate that you are happy with our proposal, we book and confirm all the accommodation and service providers in your proposed itinerary. You have 7 days in which to pay a 20% non-refundable deposit (if we are also booking air travel for you, we will require 100% of the air portion). We will then pay over the deposits required by the various hotels and safari lodges we have booked for you in order to confirm these bookings.
- The balance of your tour price is due 61 days before your arrival in Africa.
- Once we have pre-paid all the accommodation and service providers, we prepare your travel documents for you. Your confirmation vouchers will be sent to you electronically and a welcome pack of printed travel information, maps & directions will be handed to you upon your arrival in Africa. Prior to your departure to Africa, your tour consultant will continue to liaise with you and will be available to answer any questions you might have.
- During your time in Africa, we are available 24 hours a day to assist you should any unforeseen issues or complications arise. Our 24-hour number will be given to you when we send you your confirmation vouchers.
IT’S OFFICIAL! WE ARE NO. 1
MEET THE TEAM
+27 87 353 7868
I first started with Pembury Tours as a Personal Assistant to the MD on a mornings-only basis way back in November 2004. This very quickly turned into a full time position and I gained extensive behind the scenes knowledge supporting the tour consultants in the office.
I took a short break in 2014, but realised that Pembury was so close to my heart and jumped at the chance of becoming a consultant in 2016. Until very recently I was based in the UK experiencing a little of the northern hemisphere way of life.
I simply love organising! Researching destinations, preparing itineraries, and taking care of clients’ arrangements are just some of the key aspects of my work. It’s also about getting to know my clients from the word ‘go’, to ensure that we create a holiday to meet their expectations.
Although I have a strong administrative background, I also studied tour guiding and this has given me a good understanding of local history and the sights. This has been really helpful when preparing tours for clients and I’m especially pleased to hear back from my clients after a tour with the highlights of their experiences.
Pembury is fully bonded through SATSA. What does this mean in practice?
Pembury Tours is a member of The Southern African Tourism Services Association (SATSA). Membership of SATSA is subject to compliance to a strict set of conditions based on credibility, integrity and financial stability. One of the important aspects of Pembury’s SATSA membership is the fact that SATSA members are bonded, providing a financial guarantee of deposits held and ensuring that your holiday and investment are protected. In practice, this means that should Pembury go out of business after you have paid us, you will be refunded in full via SATSA.
Pembury Tours has been a member of SATSA since 1997 and our membership number is 868. Please feel free to verify our standing with SATSA by contacting them directly.
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel: +27-11-886 9996
Additional financial security to your booking
There is a risk, small as it is, that a property that is part of your itinerary suffers a disaster (insolvency, being destroyed by fire etc) prior to your arrival in Africa but after you have paid for your vacation. This could happen in one of two ways:
- After you have paid us but before we have pre-paid the property – in this case, we will accommodate you in a property of a similar or better standard. If there are no such properties available, or you are unhappy with the alternative property, we will refund you the portion of your itinerary that relates to the property in question.
- After you have paid us and after we have pre-paid the property – since opening in 1996, this scenario has never occurred so we are dealing with a very small likelihood scenario here. If, however, we find ourselves in this situation, then out of our own funds/reserves, Pembury will accommodate you in a property of a similar or better standard. If there are no such properties available, then from our own funds/reserves, we will refund the portion of your itinerary that relates to the property in question. Pembury is a well-capitalised business and is in a position to give this undertaking – to our knowledge, we are the only specialist Africa tour operator giving this undertaking.
What cancellation or postponement charges apply? (For bookings made from April 2020)
Should you not travel, or have to cut short your trip, for any reason then the following cancellation charges apply:
Postponements or cancellations made 61 days or more before arrival:
- Postponements: the full value of all payments you have made will be credited towards a future vacation with us
- Cancellations: your 20% tour deposit will be retained as a cancellation fee
Postponements or cancellations made 60 days or less before arrival:
- Charges on this portion could vary from 0% and 100%. We will make every effort to refund this portion to you but this will be dependent on the terms and conditions that we have with the properties and service providers in question. As a general rule, the more time between the cancellation or postponement and the intended arrival date, the more likely we will be able to secure a refund for you. Our undertaking is that we will refund you with whatever refunds we secure from properties and service providers.
What about travel insurance?
Whilst we believe that our terms and conditions are the most generous in the industry, we recommend you take out travel insurance to cover yourself against cancellation fees that are outside of your control. No one books a dream holiday intending to have to cancel, but “stuff happens”! People have to cancel their holiday plans for various, unforeseen reasons – airlines might stop flying, sudden illness/death in the family etc.
We suggest you take out travel insurance with a reputable company in your country of residence. Lessons learnt during the COVID-19 saga is that standard travel insurance does not cover extreme events like what resulted from the Coronavirus – one needs to select a travel insurance policy that covers you for not travelling for “ANY REASON”
What does your dream trip to Africa entail?
There is nothing more relaxing than spending lazy days on the beach, feeling the sun gently warm your skin and listening to the rhythmic sound of the waves. A beach holiday soothes the body and mind like no other and it is no wonder that most people see a beach holiday was their most desired type of holiday.
There can be few methods of travel more nostalgic, more romantic or more elegant than a classic train journey. This is rail travel in the grand old tradition.